ROC Garden is a project that has worked very closely with Blackpool Coastal Housing now for nearly 5 years. ‘Transforming Gardens, Transforming Lives’ is the phrase our team uses to describe the difference we make, not just to the gardens we transform for BCH residents, but to the those who actively volunteer, take part, get stuck in, or who may be on the receiving end of a transformed garden.
ROC Garden aims to achieve 2 main things:
- Empower unemployed people back into employment
- Support residents who need help with overgrown gardens.
We create time each week to train, empower and equip volunteers to become proficient gardeners, providing them with the skills and confidence they need to be able to perform incredible garden makeovers in just a few hours, as well as to provide regular maintenance and routine cuts for residents and public green spaces.
We have grown to learn that an overgrown garden can be merely a symptom of other issues a person may be facing in their life at that time. Their garden could be overgrowing because they are struggling financially, physically, mentally, poor in time, or their garden has outgrown their electric tools and have lost control… It could happen to any of us.
Our successes so far…
– Over the last few years we have supported more than 150 different residents with garden transformations, with a high success seeing them remain well maintained after our initial visit.
– We have trained and empowered more than 75 work-placement volunteers, and have worked with hundreds of young volunteers through groups from the National Citizen Service, Blackpool Police Cadets, Blackpool Communities Trust and Blackpool and the Fylde College.
– For our work-placement volunteers, we have seen 8 out of 10 of them move on into paid employment (and not just gardening!) Our most recent success is Adam, who has volunteered with us for around 6-months, and has just recently been offered a full-time job with Blackpool Transport, we are so proud!
– Through ROC Garden Services (our social enterprise arm) we have created employment for 13 volunteers that we have trained.
– Our ROC Garden Services team currently looks after more than 350 regular customers across Blackpool and the Fylde Coast.
– This year we are now privileged to become the contractors for BCH to provide the empty property garden work to make gardens ready for new tenants moving in.
– We currently have a team of around 20 gardeners, have 4 branded vans, 2 customised tricycles and a partridge in a pear tree 😉
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUILD YOUR GARDEN SKILLS AND CONFIDENCE?
If you would like to volunteer, you can join us anytime on our monthly rolling training programme. We also work closely with the Blackpool Park Rangers at various sites and a number of other local community groups.
To find out more about volunteering, please email or give us a call:
Tel: 07460 287228
DO YOU NEED A GARDEN TRANSFORMATION?
If you need help with your garden, please contact your local housing officer and ask them to refer you into the ROC Garden transformation scheme. Our teams are ready to receive referrals to provide a free, one-off garden transformation for Blackpool Coastal Housing residents.
ROC Garden have become specialists in bringing overgrown gardens back to a manageable level, and to also provide a one-off transformation free-of-charge through a referral made from one of the BCH Housing Officers.
For more information about garden transformations, regular maintenance or volunteering, please contact us on:
Tel: 07460 287228
See our live portfolio of work on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/rocgardenservices